Sometimes, you just have to let your inner warrior take over and do the work for you. Trust me, it will. Then, you’ll be amazed by what you can do and have more faith in yourself.
“Twenty-somethings who don’t feel anxious and incompetent at work are usually overconfident or underemployed.” (From The Defining Decade by Meg Jay) When you do feel anxious and incompetent, instead of scaling back and asking for smaller assignments, let your inner warrior take over and march forward.
Here is my theories on why you should do that:
- Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
- Doing things get results. People can argue about your age or your potential, but no one can argue with results. Result is a data point. Either you succeed and you prove what value you can bring to the company quantitatively, or you fail and you learn more about the world.
- You worry that being too bold will derail your career? Oh, please. You’re on the bottom of the food chain already. How much lower can you fall? You have nothing to lose and so much to learn. Now is the best time to just shut up and go for it.
- You worry that your lack of experience will lead to more failures? If your success rate is low, take more shots to make up for that. Also, you can improve your success rate. “Experience” just means you know the process of how to get some specific results. You can learn that process in many ways: by reading books, by asking relevant people good questions, by observing star performers, by thinking, by experimenting, etc. (Everyone can look “experienced” some day because getting old is automatic and can be done without any conscious effort from you. That’s why waiting your turn is too low a bar. Be more proactive.)
- When you let your inner warrior take over, you are actively choosing to let your ego step back and focus on the issues on hand. Then, you just let the warrior do her thing: breaking down the problems, making a plan for each part, and executing the plans. It’s always easier to get things done when your ego is not in the way.
- Limiting yourself, selling yourself short, is self-betrayal. It will kill your soul. (Video)
There is no point dwelling on your anxiety and insecurity. They’re just feelings that everyone has every once in a while. But, nobody cares about your anxiety and insecurity, and you don’t have to care either. On the other hand, don’t bother hiding it. You’re young. Everyone will assume you’re green, too. “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you. “
人是逼出来的。We’re all forced into the life we live by ourselves and by circumstances. You have a say on the first part. Make it count.